DesiGirl's Network Home | About Me |



TAG: Indian Writing

We all know what an impossible soul dear ole Ams is. She never does anything by halves. So she's gone and listed an impressive array of tomes in her Indian authors/books. I have as much chance as the proverbial snowball's chance in hell of coming up with one half so impressive. So I decided to go my way and make it short n' sweet.

So here is my list of Indian authors / books I have read or would love to read:

1. Ashok Banker's Seige of Mithila - Second book in his very impressive Ramayana series. Can't wait to lay my hands on it. It was Dee who relentlessly badgered me into reading the first one and like Ams, I wasn't really hooked onto it from the start. The twins calling one another 'Shot' and 'Luck' sounded more Hardy Boys-ish than anything. But once I passed those, it was pure heaven. A must-read.

2. Kalki's Ponniyin Selvan - I have read parts of it when it was serialised but for a long time now, have been meaning to read it in its entirety. Mean to get my mitts on my mum's copy when I visit the folks later in this year. Ooh!

3. Vikram Seth's An Equal Music - yeah yeah I own up to not having read this till now. I have borrowed it now from the library so should get cracking on it soon!

4. David Davidar's House of Blue Mangoes - heard / read good things about this one. When I heard he is the Mad Momma's uncle, I am determined to read it!!! (Call me shallow!)

5. Jawahara Saidulla's Burden of Foreknowledge - Sujatha Bagal of Blogpourri has said such lovely things about this book that I am compelled to put it on my 'must read' list. Added to it, the fact that she is a Desicritic makes her work unmissable!

6. Saavi's Washingtonil Thirumanam - absolutely hilarious! Made me long for the traditional Tambram weddings of yore. 'Shhhiver bath' is a phrase you would not forget!


Phew! Time to pass the baton to Apu, Dee, Suj, Premalatha, Dubukku and my fellow mummy bloggers MM, Tharini, Itchy and Boo.

Big thanks to the Mad Momma and Dubukku for responding to the tag. Their spectacular efforts have made me hang my head in shame to see such impressive lists of Indian authors / books.

Posted by DesiGirl 8:57 am  

11 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    hee hee hee, lazy wazy, that's a nice list. I can't help my monster list. I saw Jawahara do it so I thought that was the way to do it. I'm very easily influenced :D
    Unknown said...
    You're easily influenced....I get carried away. What can we do? We are what we are :-). DG, I like your list...very eclectic. I must get these.
    Anonymous said...
    Hey J:
    yeah poor Ams, she's of course easily influenced yes :p :D Is your book available in India yet? I hope to get some solid quality reading time when I go home next month.
    the mad momma said...
    hey! he's my uncle. give him back to me! not the OA's. Shall put up my tag tomorrow. thanks!
    DesiGirl said...
    GAK!
    Sorry MM! *slap on the wrists*
    Premalatha said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    Premalatha said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    Premalatha said...
    DG, I lost the habit of reading books a long time ago. If you ask me books from my subject I may be able to list a few, but, no indian there either. I always enjoy(ed) reading very light material such as pattukkottai, as, that sort of reading was to give myself a break.. :-D

    OK.. Will try though. Give me sometime.
    Anonymous said...
    Have posted on this :)

    http://dubukku.blogspot.com/2007/06/blog-post.html
    DesiGirl said...
    hey coool! thanks dubukks!
    B o o said...
    At last, I finished my tag. Some work it was trying to remember the good old days. Thanks for the chance DG. I have been all nostalgic for the past couple of days!

Post a Comment



Create a Link