DesiGirl's Network Home | About Me |



The Absense of Good Desi Chick Lit

We have a mini-library of sorts in my team, at work. Well, mini-library seems a rather grand way of describing what it is, a collection of books, but we take it very seriously - we even have a librarian to monitor the traffic! Most of the books in this collection are light, even frivolous read - none of the blood chilling or brain workout-y type of books I'd like to get my teeth into, so I generally
stay away from it.

But one day, a random thought struck me and I actually went through these books. Most of them were written by women and covered subjects such as shopping, clothes, dating, partying, drinking, sex... 'chick lit', as I describe it. Not that I have anything against such things, I even borrowed one such book when the library was shut. As I was reading all about three enterprising women and their ideas to nab themselves a dishy guy, I couldn't help wondering how come we have no such books in the desi market.

How come us desis girls don't muck about such light material? Lord knows we could tell the world a thing or two. How tough it is to walk past a crowd of roadside romeos without batting an eyelid; how to cross the road opposite Ethiraj College (in Chennai) without getting run over by blokes driving outsized bikes; how to go on a date without grandparents and assorted relatives spotting you around the countryside. There's also the intriguing life of upstairs-wali Mallika and her shenanigans, the old boy next-door and what he gets upto when maami goes to the market, Flat Association President mama who makes sheep eyes at Lily aunty's cleavage at the committee meetings... well, you get my drift?

Why is it that the desi literature scene so heavy? Is it because us desis cannot read chick lit or anything half so flimsy? Do we need meaty subjects all the time? Why? Why can't we kick back with the tale of Meena and Seema as they try to plot their way around their workplace, trying to get past the letch Mohan or Ammu, as she tries to solve the mystery of who-put-the-salt-in-the-soup-and-ruined-her-dinner-party?

I say the desi lit world needs some input from the likes of us Desi Chicks. The Jhumpa Lahiris, Arundhathi Roys and Kiran Desais can have their hard core, heavy works but we need some fresh, new blood from some regular Janes too.

What say my gal pals?

Posted by DesiGirl 11:51 am  

4 Comments:

  1. Pooja Daswani-Rao said...
    second your thoughts.. always wondered why there isn't enough of it..
    apu said...
    There are desi chicklits - but typically written by American/Brit Desis I think; Girl - why dont you write our own Mylapor/Mambalam chiclit :))
    musical said...
    Nice blog.

    I agree, there should be more fun desi chicklit.

    though the word desi chicklit sadly reminds one of Kaavya.

    i like Pratik's blog too, very cute and you latest post there is marvellows and so true-i have experienced that with most of the lil' ones (nephews and nieces) i know :).
    DesiGirl said...
    Thank u all, for ur lovely words! Bookmark me so u can keep coming back!!

Post a Comment



Create a Link